Memorial Day weekend is here and if you’re headed out of town you probably have your travel plans all wrapped up by now.
Hopefully those plans already include some safety preparations … if not, here are a few things to think about before hitting the road!
- Check out your vehicle’s condition before a trip. Inspect things like tire condition and pressure, oil and other fluid levels and inspect belts and hoses.
- Pay attention while out on the road and expect the unexpected.
- Get plenty of rest before traveling and take regular rest breaks.
- Be patient and alert to changing road conditions … and buckle up!
- If your vehicle breaks down or you need to change a flat tire, pull completely off the roadway. Be cautious in areas with taller grass or brush – hot vehicle components can spark a fire.
- Don’t drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs (even prescription drugs can limit your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle).